At the JCC, we’ve always been committed to providing our communities with excellent facilities, attractive programming and engaging staff members. By ensuring a happy and safe return to our clean campuses, we once again have the unprecedented opportunity to showcase these commitments to you and deliver our mission and vision. Fitness, health and wellness are more important now than ever before, and with your feedback, we are preparing to exceed your expectations.
A New Beginning
Our Reopening Task Force is laser-focused on preparing for your arrival and mapping out how best to utilize our 200,000 sq. ft. campus. We’re thrilled to introduce some exciting changes, such as an increased number of outdoor fitness programs, group exercise in the celebration centre and a revamped atrium that will allow for proper physical distancing. Please see below for more updates. Additional details will follow.
Using a combination of directional signage, protective barriers and specially trained, strategically placed staff, we will help to ensure our members maintain a safe physical distance while at the JCC. Our spacious 8000 sq. ft. fitness floor and full-size gymnasiums are just a few of the large spaces that afford us the unique ability to safely space out people and equipment.
- Fitness floor equipment (cardio, machine weights) spaced out to maximize square footage for physical distancing
- New training pods available in the main studio featuring curated fitness programming
- Group fitness classes moved to large, open spaces — such as the Conference Centre and the Gymnasium — to promote physical distancing
- New registration system for booking many types of workouts to minimize high volume member capacity
- Customized mobile app makes registration quick and convenient for users, and reduces wait time
- Defined entries, exits and wayfinding measures
- Physical distancing measures and decals added throughout the facility and in all program spaces
- Reduced daycare classroom cohorts in order per Ministry regulations
- Reduced congregation areas by removing furniture from the atrium and closing the cafeteria, change rooms and showers
- Continued work-from-home for non-front-line staff and virtual meetings
Prior to reopening, each JCC facility will be methodically deep cleaned and disinfected. With participation from our dedicated staff, help from our loyal members and a more robust schedule from our professional cleaners, we will dramatically increase the frequency and attention to detail of cleaning and disinfecting.
- Designated staff members for cleaning
- New daily cleaning protocols
- Daily deep clean
- Deep clean and sanitization before reopening
- Increased daily cleaning and sanitization protocols as per industry and Public Health and Ministry recommendations
- Within 24-hr access to our cleaning vendor’s emergency deep cleaning provisions; back-up emergency cleaning vendor available if needed
- Increased wipes dispensers around the facility
- COVID-19 approved cleaning products
- Hand sanitizing stations located everywhere
- Building refresh – paint, new decals
- HVAC upgrades
We care deeply about the wellbeing of our staff and JCC members. Staff will be provided with PPE to wear onsite and members will be encouraged to wear their own PPE while inside the facility. Health screening, including non-invasive temperature checks, will be completed upon arrival.
- Daily wellness checks and temperature checks upon entry for staff and members/visitors
- Temperature check using non-contact forehead thermometer
- Member/visitor waivers
- Increased alcohol-based hand sanitizing stations around the facility
- Nano skins on high touch surface buttons
- Plexiglass in high contact and screening areas
- Appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Established COVID-19 reporting procedures in consultation with Public Health
- Systems for contact tracing and record-keeping
- Updated staff roles and responsibilities, and health and safety policies
- Updated staff sickness procedures
- Nanoskin barrier technology installation on many surfaces
- Wayfinding and branding throughout building – clear, safe, easy-to-see paths for people
- Plexiglass PPE barriers installed in many areas
To help ensure safe physical distancing measures and an overall seamless JCC experience, your workout times will be reserved in advance. Again, our spacious campus gives us confidence in our ability to accommodate most requests.
- Booking available and required for all classes as well as for access to the gym floor (cardio, weight, individual workouts, etc.)
- Only members will be able to use the JCC reservation system
- Members will be limited to one booking reservation per day, per discipline
Book a JCC fitness class and gym access today!
Or download the "Schwartz/Reisman Centre" app
Due to regulations, some programming and amenities may not be available immediately. As restrictions lift, we will add to the program schedules and open additional areas of the facility. We are very excited to offer more outdoor classes and virtual programs and to take a dip in our pools as soon as we can.
- Scheduled outdoor boot camp and yoga classes will be available
- Expanded outdoor fitness events and programming
- Virtual programming: Offering live fitness classes available only through Virtual JCC which features 10-15 weekly classes along with a weekly “special” where we showcase a guest
At the JCC, we prioritize the health and safety of our members, and are doing everything we can to make sure you feel comfortable. We care about your wellbeing and have taken immediate proactive measures to ensure you feel safe at our JCC facilities.
- Align all staff on safety protocols and procedures that will protect health and safety of all staff and members, and meet Public Health and Ministry guidelines and requirements
- COVID-19 emergency response plan has been developed and sent to all staff
- COVID-19 staff handbook with updated policies and procedures protocols is being developed as well as staff training
- Developed new systems for staff communications
- All staff trained on new cleaning protocols and operating procedures
- Phased approach to opening, ensuring we take all safety precautions into consideration
- No cash – digital payments only if needed
- Detailed protocols / contact tracing if needed
- Upgraded security protocols for building